Stephen Gran on 22 Oct 2003 08:23:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] mail relay?

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:14:14AM -0400, sean finney said:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:54:39AM -0400, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > I get occasional relay attempts on my server, but they have all been
> > rejected.  Today I noticed these entries and I am a little concerned.
>
> a passing attempt at using you as a relay results in failure:

To check if you're relaying anything, try:
telnet relay-test.mail-abuse.org

They'll run a bunch of open relay tests against whatever box you connect
from.  It's not perfect, but it provides you with a way to test your
setup, and see if you're accepting anything that you shouldn't.  Also,
not accepting mails for invalid local_parts is a very good idea - the
only thing that you get by accepting it is spam and virii, and unless
you're building a collection, I don't see a pressing need for that. :)

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "In matrimony, to hesitate is sometimes |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | to be saved." -- Butler                 |