Alex Birch on 25 Oct 2003 08:04:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Eric Raymond in FastCompany Magazine!

Paul wrote:

Now Cisco doesn't need to worry as much about the two programmers leaving the Company. Now Cisco doesn't need to worry as much about getting rid of the two employees, or off-shoring their jobs! So, at least in this case, isn't open-sourcing the code good for Cisco and the world, but potentially detrimental to the creators of the code?

What if Cisco kept the source closed and then off-shored the jobs? I see the two issues to be orthogonal, since any corporation can off-shore any job except those of PHBs.

I think the idea of open source software is to sell the services and not the actual software. This could be good because it's more difficult to off-shore services than jobs.

Cheers,
Alex

Ecclesiastes 2
18 Yea, I hated all my labour which I had taken under the sun: because I should leave it unto the man that shall be after me.
19 And who knoweth whether he shall be a wise man or a fool? yet shall he have rule over all my labour wherein I have laboured, and wherein I have shewed myself wise under the sun. This is also vanity.