Stephen Gran on 4 Nov 2003 14:27:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: [PLUG]Debian install WAS RH EOL

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:58:15PM -0500, Jon Nelson said:
> Leroy,
>
> Thanks for the offer.  I have been struggling with it all day.
>
> My main problem is that my NIC (Intel PRO/1000 XT) is not being
> recognized.  Therefore I can't do a net install.  I have CDs but they are
> 2.2.
>
> I did install 2.2 and then downloaded the driver from Intel.  When I tried
> to compile the driver I got an error about version.h being missing.  Some
> addtional reading indicated that the source and the current config had to
> match or it would not compile.  So it looks like I hve to compile a kernel
> just to get this driver to install.
>
> Am I going about this the wrong way?  It just seems that it should not be
> this difficult.
>
> Jon

I know that one of the install cds contains multiple kernel versions -
there it is.  cd 1 is supposed to be a multi-boot cd - there is some
option (f2?) to list the various boot parameters when you get the boot:
prompt.  Choose the bf2.4 kernel, and you'll install a 2.4 kernel ,which
I'm fairly sure contains the driver for that card.

HTH, and sorry that's not a more specific answer - I haven't had to
reinstall in a _long_ time.  One of the things I love about Debian :)
|  Stephen Gran                  | f u cn rd ths, u r prbbly a lsy spllr.  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |