William H. Magill on 5 Nov 2003 10:19:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] FW: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 10:16 AM, Art Clemons wrote:
Personally, I've started using Gentoo, so I guess I'm ok at home.
At work, well that was as different story. Until I saw this:
http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html
Since we're a novell shop, it kind of works out for us.

Don't be too sure, Novell has a long history of buying things and letting them wither away if its practices don't just outright kill it off. Think of the history of WordPerfect and Novell before you expect Suse to be around for the long term.

We may actually be reaching the end of packaged distributions of Linux products, unless we all start paying more for said distributions. I've never been a RedHat fan, but its changes are a good indication that not enough money is being made selling to individuals, who also don't buy support. Suse being sold is another indication that things don't always work out.

This is all also a direct reaction to the SCO "suit." SCO's goal is to put the "cheap" development of software into the dustbin of history.

By eliminating "free" versions of Linux ... i.e. cheap packaged products masquerading as proprietary versions with full support ... SCO resurrects the huge margins associated with support contracts. They eliminate the idea that Linux is "Enterprise Ready" -- that you can bet your company on something like "free Linux." Only "proprietary Linux" versions (aka Enterprise Linux) will be available, for which substantially higher prices will have to be paid, rendering Linux less and less "interesting" as an alternative to Microsoft. That this completely destroys the market is of no concern, it is a very typically short-sighted "grab-market-share-at-any-cost" tactic, which, sadly, usually works.

Greed is a very nasty motivator -- it normally leads to the results attributed to the old Communist Joke -- Peasant: "Commissar, my neighbor has a goat, and I have none." Commissar: "What would you have me do?" Peasant: "Kill my neighbor's goat."

. . .

I have also heard Suits laughingly describe how Linux and Free Software (aka Open Source) are the real reason for the lack of Programming jobs in the US ... not their being shipped to India! One recent comment went -- "Why should I pay a Programmer to write and maintain code when our SysAdmin can get it off the net for free?" This from a company with no programming staff, who expected their SysAdmins to obtain, support and maintain, the company's entire computing operation solely with "Free Software." They attribute the success of their company over the past 10 years and now worth several million dollars, to their ability to hire no more than two "cheap Linux programmers" at a time, to run their computers for them. It was a most enlightening interview. Scary, but enlightening none the less.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com