Michael F. Robbins on 9 Nov 2003 18:53:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Xvnc login howto

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 18:26, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> - - In a terminal window if I type 'vncviewer 192.168.1.101:0' or
> 'vncviewer 192.168.1.101:1', I get "vncviewer: VNC server connection
> closed".
>
> - - On WinXP if I try to connect to 192.168.1.101, I get "Failed to
> connect to listening VNC viewer" or nothing at all.

Check /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.  As you said, access to
localhost works fine, so you might just be blocking other hosts.  Also,
do a "netstat -tl" and see if it is listening on all host interfaces.

I've had this working for a while now too.  Some other tips: you can set
a password for connecting to even the kdm/gdm/xdm login window with the
argument:
 -rfbauth [path of VNC password file]
and the password file can be created with vncpasswd.  Weak, I know, but
still convenient.

Also, when I was recently traveling among Windows users, I brought along
a copy of putty and the tightvnc viewer, tunneling the VNC connection
over SSH.  Secure, and much easier than any remote X setup I've ever
seen.

--
Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com