Stephen Gran on 10 Nov 2003 21:53:02 -0500

[PLUG] regexp assistance please

Hello all,

I am trying to write a regexp that lets me use grep (or really, egrep)
to read a standard conffile-style file.  This means that I want to
ignore any line that begins with a comment (for which I am currently
only allowing the use of #), any line that is just a newline, and any
line that is just whitespace (we don't need to worry about the
possibility of multiline strings in this case).  I can come up with
egrep -v '^#|^$' to ignore comments and _only_ newlines, but I would
also like to ignore unseen whitespace (like \s*) - [:space:] just doesn't
seem to be working for me.  Can somebody whack me with a cluebat?

Thanks,
|  Stephen Gran                  | The one day you'd sell your soul for    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | something, souls are a glut.            |