eric@lucii.org on 12 Nov 2003 14:46:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh!

Well, the RedHat box is working again although I only have a glimmer as
to what happened.

Changing the IP of the server back  to it's original value and then
rebooting the server and the RH workstation worked.

There were no entries of use in /var/log/messages but this is in
/var/log/security:

Nov 12 10:13:58 pc-00080 login:
      pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server
Nov 12 10:13:58 pc-00080 login:
      Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.
Nov 12 10:13:58 pc-00080 login:
      pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server
Nov 12 10:13:58 pc-00080 login:
      Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.

So, It appears that the workstation cannot log anyone on without getting
authentication from the LDAP server on the Samba server.  Strange thing
is, I have no recollection of asking for this service.

Pam is an opaque nightmare to me... probably because I've never spent a
lot of time trying to figure it out.  looking at /etc/pam.d/login
I see this:

auth       required     pam_securetty.so
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     pam_console.so

So, where is pam_ldap?? (Or should I look in system-auth???)
Hummmmmm.

Thanks.

Eric

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:19:20AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> eric@lucii.org wrote:
>
> >Question:  Could it have to do with changing the IP range of the DHCP
> >server that serves this box from 192.168.0.N to 192.168.101.N ?
> >That's the only change I made.  Seems harmless enough.
> >

> Oh, wait.  Would that change the address of your NFS and/or NIS
> server(s) if you are using any?  Did you update DNS records or hosts
> files to reflect the changes?

#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#      And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
#                             -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.