Ben Dugan on 17 Nov 2003 10:45:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] editing pdf, ps

I did this using pstoedit to convert the file to fig format, then edited it with xfig. It worked well (in my case filling out government forms for an application for a grant).

The one hassle was that xfig handles text in a rigid line oriented way, so typing paragraphs of text was difficult.

Ben

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
I want to edit a postscript (or pdf) file for which I don't have the
original source to regenerate with the modifications I want.  I just
want to put a "do not distribute" note at the top.

If I do it in gimp, the ps or pdf is rastorized, I edit the pixmap,
and safe as a rastorized image.  This doesn't work for me, as it
decreases the quality of the whole document.

I feel like I ought to be able to do something like this with some
unix tool.  I've seen that the authoring-enabled version of acrobat
can do this with pdf's.  But I haven't turned up anything that can do
this for me.

Anyone know how to do this?