Tom Diehl on 1 Dec 2003 06:16:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: What Does "Install" Really Mean

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Paul wrote:

> Tom Diehl wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Paul wrote:
> >

> >>(In the next command I am trying something like --force or --nodeps to
> >>insist on having the package installed.  I don't do this often so I'm
> >>not 100% sure about those options.  Use with care.)
> >>
> >>rpm --nodeps -Uvh <pkg>
> >>

> >DO NOT DO THIS!! --nodeps and --force are there for some very specific
> >situations. If someone has to explain what they are you do NOT need them.
> >
> >They will in most cases cause grief if used. Do it the right way and satisfy
> >the deps. that is why rpm has them so that all of the components get properly
> >installed.
> >

> Like I said, sometime RPM gets confused.  By forcing a package to be
> installed with --nodeps then removing the package, sometimes that
> resolves the problem and allows the package to be installed the usual
> way.  I should have added that to my last message.

In what way does it get confused? Forcing a package to be installed then
removing it then reinstalling it does nothing more than waste time. If you
have a real world reproducible case where this works I would love to see this.
What you say makes no sense. There are a few good reasons for using --nodeps
and force what you state above is not one of them. That is just voodoo.