Kevin Brosius on 1 Dec 2003 08:59:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: What Does "Install" Really Mean

Tom D wrote:

>  On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Paul wrote:
>
>  > Rebecca Ore wrote:
>  >
>  > >On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 06:14:01PM -0500, Paul (emailme@dpagin.net) wrote:
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >>Like I said, sometime RPM gets confused. By forcing a package to be
>  > >>installed with --nodeps then removing the package, sometimes that
>  > >>resolves the problem and allows the package to be installed the usual
>  > >>way. I should have added that to my last message.
>  > >>
>  > >>
>  > >
>  > >Using the replace package option seems to be a perhaps safer way to do
>  > >this when rpm's database is confused. Also, rebuilding the database
>  > >isn't a bad idea either.
>
>  How does rpm's database get "confused"?? What does this mean and how would
>  --replacepkg help a "confused" db?? On certain older versions of rpm there
>  was/is a file locking bug that required the removal of the lock files and
>  rebuilding of the database. Is that what you are referring to?? If so I
>  would suggest upgrading to the latest version of rpm for the applicable
>  system. Look on rpm.org for the latest version. Red Hat never did an official
>  update but JBJ put the updates on rpm.org for those who wanted to actually
>  fix the problem.

In my observation, people either forget or haven't been told that RPM's
really are distro specific.  If your particular distro is good at
dependency setup, then you have a good chance of keeping your RPM
database consistent.  As soon as you download an RPM that doesn't
specify what distro and version it was built for (SuSE 9.0, SuSE 8.2, RH
7.3, etc) you are out of luck.  That's when people start suggesting the
-force and -nodeps options.

I don't think RPM is confused, as much as people don't realize they
should stick to RPM's built for their distro and version.

--
Kevin Brosius