Mark M. Hoffman on 11 Dec 2003 20:58:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SCSI module not loading

* Stephen Gran <steve@lobefin.net> [2003-12-11 19:45:15 -0500]:
> Note that none of the other entries include the full path to the module.
> Try just:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
>
> and see how that goes.
>
> I prefer the /etc/modules.conf approach, as I think it's cleanest
> (modules aren't loaded until the hardware access is requested, and under
> 2.6, they will be unloaded when no longer needed), but it's sometimes
> difficult to set up just right.  If the aboce still doesn't work for
> you, you can use /etc/modules instead - this just contains a list of
> modules to load at boot time.  The advantage is that it's simple, the
> only disadvantage is that they're always loaded, whether or not you want
> to use that piece of hardware at the time.  Just \
> echo aic7xxx >> /etc/modules

Agreed.  I also have a RH system w/ aic7xxx.  The line Steve recommends
works for me.  I have a CDRW instead of a tape, but it shouldn't matter.
I have /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/scd0, with an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab.
Then whenever I touch the device (e.g. 'mount /mnt/cdrom') the whole module
stack gets loaded; it "just works".

Also btw don't use 'insmod' directly; use modprobe instead.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman@lightlink.com