Martin DiViaio on 12 Dec 2003 00:18:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Puzzling networking problem

[...]

On the 11th day of December in the year 2003 you wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:03:59 -0500
> From: Mark Dominus <mjd-lists-plug@plover.com>
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: [PLUG] Puzzling networking problem
>

> I have a recurring network problem.  Packets addressed to one or
> another of my static addresses will just stop arriving.
>
> I believe the problem isn't on my side.  This is because I can run ping
> on a remote network, sending packets to one of my working addresses,
> and the effect is obvious: the 'activity' lamp on my DSL modem blinks
> every second, whenever the ping packets come in.   The periodic
> blinking starts when I run the ping and stops when I stop the ping, so
> it's clear that the ping packets are arriving at the modem.
>
> When I run the same 'ping' command to send packets to a non-working
> address, the lamp does not blink in this was.  I think this shows that
> the packets are not making it to my DSL modem at all.  I think that
> this rules out anmy configuration problem on my local network or my
> hosts.

Have you eliminated the DSL modem as the possible problem?

I once had a problem with a DSL modem where the ethernet card was going
bad. Sometimes it would work and then die. The biggest problem I had was
convincing tech support that the modem needed to be replaced because when
they connected to it from their side and ran it's diagnostics, it would
always report that it was fine.