Stephen Gran on 15 Dec 2003 20:57:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] grep with more structure and multi-line

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 05:24:54PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> Hey, that's pretty simple.
>
> It almost does the right thing, probably useful for many of the
> contexts where I want to do this.
>
> It's not as useful if I don't know in which line of the three to
> expect hits.  But often, as in the procmail example, I know in which
> line I'm expecting hits.
>
> Thanks.
>
> (The general question is still open, out of curiosity, but I think
> Tim handled over 90% of my need.)

Take a look at exigrep (part of the exim package) - it's not a one
liner, but it's perl, it's short, and it's well written.  It's designed
to parse very clearly defined log files, but it may give you some
pointers to what you're trying to do.  If you solve it in a way that
works well for you, post it - I'm interested in a general way, although
it's not burning enough to actually sit down down and do it :)

|  Stephen Gran                  | BOFH excuse #11:  magnetic interferance |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | from money/credit cards                 |