Sarod Yatawatta on 16 Dec 2003 14:11:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Son of Newbie Elem networking Net, RH9 no see ISA ethernet card

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Douglas Lentz wrote:

>  Souce code for a driver appears to be there:
> /usr/src/linux-2.4-20-8/drivers/net/3c509.c. I have attempted to compile
> a custom kernel that will support this card, but without success.  I
> choose to install the 3C509 in "make config", but then "make bzImage "
> dies with "no rule to make target
> '/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci/devlist.h', needed by 'names.o'.
> Stop". And, as you can imagine, make config confronts me with numerous
> choices re things I have never heard about (like IDE-ATA level 2 and so
> forth)
>
> So...first, am I going about this the smart way?
> Do I need to create a
> kernel? Suppose I pull out the ISA card and install a PCI ethernet card.
> If I reinstall Red Hat, will it detect the card and install networking
> by default? It's still a fresh install and there's no data on the box
> worth saving. OR...is there a precompiled module for this card that I
> just don't know about? Where would it be, and how would I tell the
> kernel to load it?

you will probably find it at
/lib/modules/2.4-20-8/kernel/drivers/net/3c509.o
you can load it by typing as root
/sbin/modporbe 3c509

You can remove the ISA card and use a PCI card. no need to
re-install. just change the cards and reboot to see what happens.

If you want to recompile the kernel, use "make menuconfig" instead of
"make config".