Mark M. Hoffman on 17 Dec 2003 16:41:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linksys

* Bill Patterson <patterson@computer.org> [2003-12-17 09:35:40 -0500]:
> This is a question for someone with both a working Linksys hub and
> removable hard drives.  Is there a way to have multiple computers with
> multiple IPs (e.g. 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, etc.) where the IPs are
> stable, i.e. they are the same for each master disk that is brought up,
> and still have the computers be able to go through DHCP and talk to the
> Internet?  (It's tough just to say that.)

If I understand you... you want to use dhcp to assign effectively static
IPs based on disk instead of MAC address.

If clients and server are Linux, you may be able to use dhcp-client-identifier
to do that.  I'm not sure, but I think you can specify in the client config
to pass that parameter, and then specify in the server config to key off of it
(instead of MAC address.)  Assuming ISC dhcpd, look at manpages for dhcpd and
dhcpd.conf for more info.

Not sure how Linksys is a factor here, unless it's an appliance which
also acts as your dhcp server... in that case, the above is no help - sorry.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman@lightlink.com