Dayton Gray on 18 Dec 2003 15:45:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Distro suggestion?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:11:31 -0500, Art Alexion wrote
> I just got a new machine from a friend I had helped with some
> technical stuff in the past, and installed RH 7.3 on it because I
> had a boxed set.  Before I start using it, I figured that I should
> install something more current.  I have discs for RH8, Mandrake 9.1,
> and Free BSD 4.8.  This is primarily going to be a workstation in a
> heterogenus platform environment.  My experience so far has been
> limited to RH 7.x.  I don't have a connection that would make
> downloading ISOs reasonable.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --

I wouldn't recommend RedHat 7.x as they have discontinued that line and will
no longer support it as of Jan 1st 2004. You may want to look at a
distribution such as Debian or Mandrake. If this is just a desktop machine, I
would recommend knoppix.org (based on Debian) which has more updated desktop
features.

Enjoy and good luck!

Dayton Gray
dgray -at- omnio <.> com