eric@lucii.org on 18 Dec 2003 15:54:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sendmail is detected as spam!

Also, if you are sending from your own Linux box's SMTP server
_directly_ to the recipient then you may have trouble.  Many ISP's, like
(earthlink is one that I'm aware of), will not accept email directly
from a "residential" IP address.  The solution is to send your email to
_your_ ISP's SMTP server.  They'll accept it because it came from within
their network (and therefore, presumably, they know who you are) and
they send it to Yahoo!, earthlink, etc. who accept it because they know
who your ISP is.

It's a minor pain - it used to be the internet was full of open relays
and you could trust people to do the right thing.

Eric

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 03:17:45PM -0500, George Gallen wrote:
> sometimes, if the From domain isn't the same
>   as the smtp domain it receives from it may
>   appear as a relayed email, which usually is
>   spam.
>
> George

#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#      And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
#                             -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.