Stephen Gran on 27 Dec 2003 21:43:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] gnome-terminal and opening URL's

On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 09:18:27PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> In the end, after some unsuccessful additional playing with
> update-alternatives, I just linked the thing:
>
>     cd /usr/bin
>     ln -s /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser   x-www-browser
>
> Now it works, at least.
>
> That was harder than it should have been.  Oh, well.  Thanks for all
> the help.

Agreed.  I looked around a little more carefully after my last post, as
I never had to do any of this manual configuration, and it looks like it
might have been a bug that it was never installed.  This is a snippet
from /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-browser.postinst:

if [ "$1" = "configure" -o "$1" = "abort-upgrade" ] ; then
    update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-www-browser \
        x-www-browser /usr/bin/mozilla 80 \
        --slave /usr/share/man/man1/x-www-browser.1.gz \
        x-www-browser.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla.1.gz
fi

(maintainer scripts are called with two arguments, action and
old-version, if old-version applies in the action case, so $1 is action
in this case)  It looks to me like a bug that it didn't get set up
properly.  You can of course just rerun the script by hand to see if it
rights itself:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-browser.postinst configure $old-version

Or maybe this is only in sid?  I don't have a woody box with mozilla
installed - they're all headless, so mozilla doesn't really do that much
on them.
|  Stephen Gran                  | This file will self-destruct in five    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | minutes.                                |