Mike Chirico on 5 Jan 2004 15:26:01 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Recommended Reading (Walt Mankowski)

 >> This book covers a lot of what was in the book above, but using C++
>> instead of C, and the topics go into  more depth. It focuses on
>> Red Hat Linux.   A great read for learning how it take advantage
>> of you system. This book was published in January of 2003.  I think
>> it sells for $38?

Walt Mankowski wrote...
>How much does it focus on Red Hat?  I'd think by the time you're
>working with pipes and queues and such, you're dealing more with the
>kernel than any particular distribution.

Yes I stand corrected, from what I can tell any current version of
Linux with 2.4 kernel, and GNU C/C++ 2.96 or 3.2 will work with
all the examples...assuming IPC support is installed etc.

The author mentions that the programs are tested on Red Hat 7.3,
8.0 and Solaris 2.8, and shows specific results of programs for
these configurations.

Other recommendations, which are, of course, classics.
W. Richard Stevens' books

"Unix Network Programming Networking APIs: Socket and XTI"
Volume 1, Second Edition (I think there is a third edition that drops XTI)

"Unix Network Programming: Interprocerss Communications"
Volume 2, Second Edition

For more info on C and C++

"C a refernece manual", Harbison and Steele, 5th edition

"The C++ Standard Library a tutorial and Reference", Josuttis

"C++ Templates the Complete Guide", Josuttis

"The C++ Programming Language -- special edition" Stroustrup

Regards,

Mike Chirico