Paul on 18 Jan 2004 21:46:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Win98 local net only

There is no firewall running. It can communicate using ICMP, DNS, and NetBIOS. It can resolve names, ping hosts on the Internet, and use Network Neighborhood. However, it can't communicate, even locally, using ftp, http, telnet, ssh, etc..

I think there is a malicious program redirecting or blocking traffic. I've spent hours on this problem. I really think it's time to just reinstall or upgrade the system.

John Fiore wrote:

When you say that it only allows local network
connections, I'm assuming that you mean that you're
using a firewall on the machine. If so, did the
problem begin before or after you started running the
firewall?