John McElroy on 19 Jan 2004 18:45:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Win98 local net only

John Fiore wrote:

I think there is a malicious program redirecting or
blocking traffic. I've spent hours on this problem. I really think
it's time to just reinstall or upgrade the system.

That's some bizarre stuff. You're probably right. Maybe it is time to reformat and reinstall.

Paul, in lieu of a complete reformat & reinstall, maybe try uninstalling Win98 networking and reinstalling. It's been a while since I've messed around with Win98 so maybe I'm somewhat rusty but I remember doing that in the past to clear up some networking problems. Why did the virus protection program delete those files? The networking reinstall should reinstall them if they are required. I think you can get to the Add/Delete Windows Components from the Control Panel.