Jeff Weisberg on 6 Feb 2004 19:49:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] character set encoding in xterm

| Attached is a small file (ru) that contains both latin-1 and koi8

nope. not attached.

and I'm not sure I understand what it means to contain
both latin-1 and koi8 text. (or, I'm not sure what it means for
any text to be in more than one character set).

| I have not been able to get it to display properly in an xterm,
| regardless of LANG setting.
|
| Can anyone else see cyrrilic in an xterm?  Do you know how to make it
| happen?

yes, I can.

but, although my grandmother's family all came from Kiev,
I can't make heads-or-tail of what I'm seeing.

| Obviously I can view the contents, it just bothers me that my xterm
| isn't doing it.

if you want to see cyrrilic in an xterm (or any funny looking
chicken scratch that foreigners try to pass off as writing) you
have a few choices:

	- run xterm with the appropriate 8bit font, eg:
		xterm -fn -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-KOI8

	- run xterm in UTF-8 mode, with an iso10646-1 font, and convert
	  your text into UTF-8, eg:
		xterm -u8 -fn -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-SemiCondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO10646-1

the 2nd option has the advantage of being able to display several types
of chicken scratch simultaneously.

	--jeff