M.Simons on 6 Feb 2004 20:15:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] What became of the wireless mesh talk?

Well, TALK is misleading.  Do you mean there was supposed to be a
talk/presentation?  Well, that's one thing.. and might be good to see. (no
I am NOT volunteering to do one.)  I did have a friend that went to the
alpha-labs presentation in the church basement, and found it very
beneficial, but that was a while ago.

But I think (and I think everybody else knows, I'm just being overly
nitpicky above.) that there is general interest in some sort of networking
cooprative group, especially around the wireless mesh.

Some of the others interested and involved have included Darxus who also
moved away.  Previously we had mapped people's housing and/or
business locations to get an idea of the feasibility of locale and
connections.  This may be a good starting point.

I had also created a mailing list on yahoogroups called PLAN-TALK P.L.A.N.
being Philadelphia Local Area Networking or something like that... my
interest and philosophy in that is connectivity by any means neccessary,
be it wired, or wireless, light, or otherwise based.

Potential subjects include the idea of a wireless local network, a
freenet, Nexus, NAP, toasternets, or whatever have you... the mailing list
still is open so feel free, if you wish to make this happen (or just learn
and discuss the subjects) join the mailing list and start talking (clearly
one can start talking here, too..  but then one has to hunt the thread
over months, or years.)

It's gone severely unused, but it's there.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org