Paul on 11 Feb 2004 23:32:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Embeding Fontsin Web Pages

LeRoy Cressy wrote:

Paul wrote:

| Is there a good alternative to Micro$oft's WEFT (Web Embedding Font
|  Tool)?

This is an atrocious idea!  I detest web pages that have microscopic
type.  The embedded font does not take into account the resolution
factor of the system .  For instance I run 1600x1200 which makes most
of the web sites with embedded fonts extremely tiny and ugly.  Also
those sites which use tables with exact sizes like 250 pixels wide is
a bad idea.  Many commercial sites use this bad idea.  You need to
take into account that on the Internet you are having people who use
different fonts like Linux uses post script fonts while windows uses
true type fonts.  The browser uses a best guess when it cannot find
the specified font.  Also, have you considered that there are people
who use different character sets than you?

Now that you have had enough of my preaching, please think about what
you are trying to accomplish.  If you use embedded fonts before
deploying your site please test it on every screen resolution and
system from 640x480 to 1000x1200  See what it looks like on systems
installed on various sizes.  See how it will look on old and new Macs,
X, and Windows.  It may look good on the system that you are
developing it on, but it may look totally awful on others.

Wow, I didn't know I couldn't do text zoom on embedded fonts. Thanks for pointing that out.

I did think about it. The following is what I privately wrote about the topic:

"Out of curiosity I have to check into WEFT to find out exactly what it is. I would guess that it's an Internet-based font server. Of course, I wouldn't suggest attempting Netscape 4.x compatibility. I do suggest shooting for Mozilla 1.x compatibility. Mozilla is very similar in functionality to Internet Explorer.

The reason why I suggest this is because the Web works best when sites are based on open standards. If only the latest Microsoft Internet Explorer can view a site properly (Sometimes it's the *only* browser allowed!) then there is an imbalance which favors a particular group of users. That group may be the majority, but think of why they are the majority; they have no choice.

We may find that there is a better alternative to WEFT."