Barry Roomberg on 14 Feb 2004 22:49:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Interview Questions: System Admin

On Saturday 14 February 2004 05:10 pm, William H. Magill wrote:
> > Other items to know:  What is a superblock and what kind of data is in
> > it?
>
> Other than for the pure macho geekieness of it, what earthly good is
> knowing the disk structure today?

There was a time, not too long ago, that our company lost 2 disks of
a RAID 5 set.  This particular set was not in the backup schedule. It was a
very unhappy occasion for those of us who didn't notify the sysadmin that
we cared about it enough to backup.

Gabe put in some serious hours, getting bits and pieces back.  I believe
part of that effort was some bit-twiddling at the superblock.