Martin DiViaio on 15 Feb 2004 01:18:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Interview Questions: System Admin

[...]

> ~      - Name at least two types of server process that can be an open
> ~        mail relay but are not SMTP server processes.
>
> SOCKS?  Squid maybe, if you were REALLY good at configuring it?
> netcat and some scripting magic?  Hell when you get right down to it,
> anyone could write/install a program on the box that could be a method
> of forwarding tcp traffic in the upper port ranges, and the sysadmin
> would be none the wiser unless they looked regularly at open/listening
> ports and noticed a lot of traffic popping up as of late..

The first thing that I thougt of was Apache (or any web server) with a
poorly configured FormMail.cgi.

I couldn't think of a second except for a couple of virii (which
technically are not server processes.)