M.Simons on 16 Feb 2004 22:10:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] more newbie q's

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, kaze wrote:
> --> gnucash for about six months now.  we are using an accountant for the
> --> first time.  she had heard about an open source accounting program, but
>
> Cynical responce: sounds like she wants to convert you or have your job
> outsourced to her.

But, she probably already has the job note "we are using an accountant for
the first time." -- it is very important that a nonprofit's finances be
legit and well-managed, especially an organization such as prometheus
which might have a lot of very powerful enemies.

Also, they're probably paying, either a reasonable fee, or no fee at all.
There are organizations such as Community Accountants which provide
nonprofits with ta-da, accountants and financial management assistance.

There are also organizations which provide pro-bono lawyers, inexpensive
architechtual/engineering/landscaping design assistance, etc.

Given, I'm still looking for the free professional grantwriters for my
nonprofit, but there is help out there.. and as good as you might be with
the books of your nonprofit OR for-profit, there are certain reasons one
goes to professionals.

Wouldn't you prefer to convert and educate her on these SIMPLE questions?

We might even be able to do an outreach/educational session in
conjunction with the local accountants and bookeeper associations.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org