Michael C. Toren on 23 Feb 2004 16:27:01 -0000

[PLUG] Eric Raymond at Wharton Technology Conference this Friday! (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from "Samak, Vele" <vsamak@wharton.upenn.edu> -----

From: "Samak, Vele" <vsamak@wharton.upenn.edu>
To: mct@toren.net, chrish@trilug.org, jeff@purple.com
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:14:46 -0500
Subject: Eric Raymond at Wharton Technology Conference this Friday!

Hello,
I apologize for the spam. I would appreciate if you could alert the members of the Philadelphia LUG of the upcoming Wharton Tech Conference and especially the speakers on the Open Source Panel. The suggested notice is below.

Thank you,
Vele

Dear Linux User Group members,

I want to call your attention to the Wharton Technology Conference happening this coming Friday in Philadelphia. The conference is a one day event with 9 different technology-related panels with keynote speakers. One of the panels is the Open Source panel which will feature these exiciting speakers from the open source community:

"Delivering Value and Innovation using Open Source Software"

Kevin Bedell, editor-in-chief, Linux World, Moderator
Daniel Frye, Director, Linux Technology Center, IBM
Stormy Peters, Director, HP Open Source
Mike Olson, CEO, Sleepycat Software
Eric Raymond, Open-Source advocate
Jason Matusow, Manager, Shared Source Initiative, Microsoft

Here is the full information for the entire conference with some logistical information and directions. We hope to see you there!

Wharton Technology Conference 2004
"From Survival to Growth: The Emerging Face of Technology"

DATE/LOCATION
February 27, 2004  (8:30-6:00)
Philadelphia Convention Center
12th and Arch Streets
Philadelphia, PA
www.whartontechconference.com

Current Prices: Students $30    Professionals $65
Register Today: http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=59248

DESCRIPTION
The 8th annual Wharton Technology Conference hosts a wide array of business leaders and professionals to offer insight into the state of technology and business today. Attendees choose from nine panel discussions   covering a variety of issues in technology and three keynote speakers. Attendees will also have the opportunity to network with both speakers and sponsors.

KEYNOTES
www.whartontechconference.com/keynotese.html
Bruce Harreld, SVP of Strategy, IBM
Bill McDermott, CEO, SAP America
Chris Asakiewicz, VP Global Business Technology, Pfizer

PANELS
www.whartontechconference.com/panelse.html
Emerging Technologies
Wireless - "Making money out of thin air"
Webservices/.NET/XML - "In search of a new vision"
Storage - "Where is the value in storage going to come from?"

Entrepreneurship and Business Innovation
Venture Capital - "Fueling the next wave of growth"
Entrepreneurship/Building Tech Businesses - "Positioning new tech ventures for the coming wave"
Creating Value Through IT - "Is there value in IT?"

Hot Issues
Search - "What does the future hold?"
Open Source - "Delivering value and innovation using open source software"
Offshore Outsourcing - "What does the future hold for American technology jobs?"

Visit http://www.whartontechconference.com/ for full details and mark February 27th on your calendar today!

SPONSORS
Platinum:
Pfizer

Silver:
Mack Center for Technological Innovation
Siemens
Siebel
Sprint

In-Kind:
Microsoft
Media Sponsors:
eWeek
CIO Insight
Baseline
CNET
Knowledge@Wharton
Information Week
Infoworld
MIT Technology Review

Vele Samak
Open Source Panel Manager, Wharton Technology Conference
MBA Candidate 2005
The Wharton School
vsamak@wharton.upenn.edu

----- End forwarded message -----