Magnus Hedemark on 26 Feb 2004 14:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux on the desktop (was: rationalizing .Mac web pages)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> SFS  http://www.fs.net/sfswww/
>
> I've been using it since December, it's very good.

Interesting read.  I'm not sure that I like the level of control that it
gives end users to share files on the LAN but that's not a deal killer.

What is a deal killer is this:
> # Can I make my home directory be on SFS?
>
> The short answer is yes you can--in fact several SFS developers do--but
> it's not very convenient. If your home directory is on SFS, when you
> first
> log in you will not have permission to access it. You must run sfsagent
> authenticate you to the file server before you can access your home
> directory. At that point, it's probably easiest to log out and log back
> in
> so that your shell reads all of your dot files.
>
> We are working on a remote login program that will forward connections
> sfsagent (much like ssh does). This program will greatly simplify having
> home directory on SFS. Ideally, some operating systems' local login
> programs will some day spawn an sfsagent for users, the way AFS clients
> have hacked login programs that fetch kerberos tickets. Modifying the
> login program of your operating system to support SFS is one way you can
> help the SFS project...

Which kind of ruins the whole point for me. :-(