Geoff Rivell on 28 Feb 2004 13:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian KDE 3.2

On Friday 27 February 2004 05:41 pm, matt@ozor.net wrote:

> I was thinking of making the jump to Debian. Has any one tried using KDE
> 3.2 yet with Debian? Are there deb's for it?

Simple words:  Make the jump.

I'm using Gentoo with KDE 3.2 right now on my laptop only because Gentoo had
XFree86 4.3 which supported my Radeon 9M.  Now that XF 4.3 is in Debian
Unstable, I'm switching back.  Compiling takes too long to update on Gentoo.

KDE 3.2 is nice, but I'm happy enough with KDE 3.1.  Kontact is the killer app
of KDE 3.2 as well as some other minor changes (which are very nice to have
but not too important).  I'll miss plastik for a while :-P

KDE 3.2 experimental deb's are around.  You can learn from:
http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKDE

Here are my tips on using Debian.  Install the minimum base and then change to
unstable (/etc/apt/sources.list).

Do a: apt-get install aptitude

aptitude makes handling Debian upgrades/installs extremely easy!  dselect is
junk by comparison.

Best of luck,
Geoff.