Paul on 9 Mar 2004 11:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT ... umm not really ] Buying New Hardware, Suggestions Please!

McLinux wrote:

I am planning to upgrade my humble P-III 450 Mhz with P-IV, however I am very much willing to experiment and I have heard that AMD Athlon is doing really great. Due to this I am confused and am seeking advice as which Motherboard, CPU and RAM I should opt for.

My requirement are simple I need some mean CPU that can do MPEG-1/2 encoding/decoding fast enough. On my current hardware spec *kino* dies saying there is no enough memory resource available :(. Of course my machine has 128 Mb RAM but I guess that is quite less. Again many a times *mplayer* also grumbles that my system is very slow to play some mpeg files.

I had recently purchased Sony DCR-TRV33E, a firewire card (IEEE 1394). I tried capturing DV movie on my desk through some win application (Since kino dies :( ). I went ahead and tried to convert the DV movie to DVD mpeg-II standard. It seems that to convert a six minute clip, my machine needs to run for 4-6 hours to create the mpeg file. Now thats pretty slow. Hence the need to upgrade.

Any recommendation for multimedia intensive task?

I'm not a multimedia expert, but I can tell you that a 450MHz machine is slow and 128MB of RAM is minimal. Try getting an AMD Athlon XP CPU; for under $100 you can go up to an Athlon XP 2700. Get at least 256MB of RAM. I like DFI motherboards.

An encoder card that can do encoding using it's own hardware will reduce the load on the main CPU, significantly from what I've read.

What I would do is this: Check the price curve on CPUs at http://www.pricewatch.com/ and see what http://www.tcwo.com/ has to offer. Then, I would consult AMD's website for recommended motherboards to go with the CPU, again, giving preference to DFI motherboards. I would also buy 512MB of RAM.