Jason Schadel on 9 Mar 2004 18:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT ... umm not really ] Buying New Hardware, Suggestions Please!

McLinux wrote:

Hi All,

I am planning to upgrade my humble P-III 450 Mhz with P-IV, however I am very much willing to experiment and I have heard that AMD Athlon is doing really great. Due to this I am confused and am seeking advice as which Motherboard, CPU and RAM I should opt for.

I was recently shopping for a replacement to my current desktop machine and I came across some inexpensive AMD motherboards that use the nforce2 chipset.

This is the one I was thinking of getting.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-139&catalog=22&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

A friend of mine runs Gentoo on the higher end version of that board(the one with all the bells and whistles) and loves it.

Jason