jazzman on 12 Mar 2004 16:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

> What are: "(copper, fibre, ether for wireless, IP by carrier pigeon
> even!)." if not REAL PHYSICAL methods of delivering the mail?
>
> There are costs associated with electronic mail -- they just happen to
> be dramatically less because of "economies of scale" (and a host of
> other, similar factors).
>
> The underlying issue is resource control and allocation.

Granted. I misstated. The point of my emails wasn't that, it was more
along the lines of "if they make you pay for it, why not just write a new
utility that does the same thing without the fee". We can't "rewrite" the
post office because we'd need new delivery (wo)men and we can't reuse the
ones we have. We CAN, however, reuse the copper wires we have now for
"new" protocols. They tax email, fine. They don't tax IMs or IRC messages,
or any other protocols you may be using. No need to reinvent the wheel,
just redesign it.

Necessity is the mother of all invention.
Marc