Jeff Abrahamson on 12 Mar 2004 17:02:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Postage on EMail?

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 10:50:37AM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
>   [12 lines, 95 words, 503 characters]  Top characters: enosirl\n
>
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 10:38:40AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > Presumably fees are a few pennies or even fractions of pennies.
> > Enough to discourage sending millions, insignificant when sending
> > one.  And it's returned by senders who don't view you as a spammer.
> >
> > I don't see the meat of your objection.
>
> Well, suppose it costs 1 penny to send an email, and there are 1000
> people on the plug list.  Does it cost $10 to send an email to the
> list?  That would sure cut down on traffic. :)

You'd be mailing to the list, so that's only one for you.  The list
would have to resend, though.

Either an architecture would allow fee-free email (say the one I
outlined this morning, where I can grant an address for that purpose)
or else lists would change form, just as usenet news groups became
lists when usenet started getting heavily spammed.

My own feeling, though, is that people should pay for bandwidth (as we
do now: DCA isn't giving me this link for free) and what you do with
it is your business.  My baysian spam filter, for example, is doing an
excellent job of keeping me from seeing stuff I don't want to be
bothered with, and procmail helps with the rest.  I have mozilla
configured not to show me unrequested popups.  If I cared I could
block images from doubleclick.  Etc.

--
 Jeff