Geoff Rivell on 13 Mar 2004 18:47:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] More Gentoo Questions

On Saturday 13 March 2004 01:08 pm, brad-plug@litech.org wrote:
> Ok, I just got my gentoo booting last night.  And, I have a couple more
> questions
>
> #1 - it looks like i have a partition mounted twice in the same location
> more specifically, /dev/hda2 is mounted at / twice.  I was wondering if
> this is because this is listed in /etc/fstab and b/c there is a line in
> the boot loader that says real_root=/dev/hda2 (from the gentoo install
> handbook).  could this be the cause?  If so, how should I fix it so that
> it will boot up (as I won't have physical access for a while, should
> something be messed up), and is there a way to fix it now that it is
> running and not mess up the whole thing (umount / is probably a bad idea)

Are you using DEVFS?  Not too sure on this question.  But Gentoo needs DEVFS
(or udev)

> #2 - will gentoo always compile the newest version -- ex, if it knows about
> 4.1, 4.2, 4.22, will it take 4.22 over the others?  Also, if I need a
> different setting, can/should I alter the config scripts?

If you edit your /etc/make.conf and set version to ~x86 it will go for the
unstable newest stuff.  Very easy to edit options and also easy to make your
own packages for install.

> #3 - where is the best place to get information about gentoo and the likes

Subscribe to the Gentoo Weekly Mailing list on their site.  I'm still
subscribed even though I no longer use it.  (It is more frustrating to wait
for compiles than to wait for a Debian package to hit unstable imo).