David Kaplowitz on 15 Mar 2004 12:30:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Receive POP3 Mail to MBox format

I am looking for an utility that can receive mail from a POP3/IMAP server and save the mails in mbox mail format. This is a very high priority work for me now, if anyone can get back with a possible example (configuration script, ini file), it will save me lot of sweat.

Have you tried a fetchmail/procmail combination? That's what I use. And though I use maildir format, IIRC I had to specifically tell procmail _not_ to use mbox format.

The .fetchmailrc is simple, the format is:

poll mail.yourserver.com protocol POP3 user "yourusername" password "yourpassword"

The .procmailrc is slightly more complicated, because you can do a ton of incredible things with it. I'll leave it to you to figure out the best config for your scenario.

Good luck,

Dave