Paul on 20 Mar 2004 19:53:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Why does linux browse at one tenth the speed of Windows XP?

John Karr wrote:

I have two primary machines, one runs Windows XP for things that don't work on my Mandrake Linux Workstation. Since upgrading to Mandrake version 10, web-browsing is extremely sluggish on the Linux Box (an Athlon XP 1700).

I have already tried tweaking hosts and resolv.conf, dig suggested the computer was not resolving from the preferred server so commenting out the backup servers sped performance a little, I also added every common alias of the computer to the hosts entry for 127.0.0.1 as suggested in a thread I found in the Mandrake Club.

This is a long shot. What does the 'hosts' line in /etc/nsswitch.conf look like? Here's mine:

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns