Stephen Gran on 25 Mar 2004 00:54:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] whitelisting for POP3

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 01:18:58PM -0500, jeff said:
> I use Evolution as a POP3 client and am not in the mood for a change.
> Spamassassin is nice, but not nice enough, so I'm considering going
> whitelist only.
>
> After way too much research, I haven't been able to locate a single
> program that works with a POP3 client that doesn't require a
> sendmail-like program added to the mix.

fetchmail has an option --mda for exactly this - if you have nothing
listening on port 25, or just want to pass the mail directly to a
different MDA, you can with this option.  procmail or something then
becomes the MDA for you, and you can configure that how you want.

> Anyone have any recommendations?

That being said, it sounds like you're looking for soething like TMDA.
It's a challenge response system that puts the onus of communication on
the sender - in other words, I send you an email, TMDA sends me back an
email telling me that my message is being held, and I must respond to
this email in order to get my original email through to you.  After a
successful negotation, my next emails are not held.  I think you can
also specify what addresses are not held in your configuration, or at
least I would hope you can.

Note that this is not an endorsement - I think that TMDA is obnoxious,
and have ruleset that dump such messages in my SPAM folder.  But you
might like what it does for you.

Hope that helps,
|  Stephen Gran                  | The world needs more people like us and |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | fewer like them.                        |