LeRoy Cressy on 31 Mar 2004 02:03:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] May's Iptables talk

rekaye1005@earthlink.net wrote:
> Leroy:
>
> you sent an in progress version. i would be glad to look at the final copy.
> i have found an excellent resource on the IBM site.
> would you like a copy of the PDF i downloaded?
>
> i am both teacher, and network guy by trade.
> my students have always found it helpful to have a broad outline first.
> for example, in your presentation ...
> the list of tables, the chains for each, and the targets was good.

Most of the attendies of plug meetings are serious users and developers. Some of us have been working with computers from the 60's and 70's. Also I plan to spend a lot of time talking about building a custom kernel with patching the kernel with items that are not included in the standard kernel source. The new items like the TARPIT target are good items. Also, you can use your firewall to block virus and worms.

Thus the talk will not dwell on a new user, but will be targeted to the system admin.

> do you have several case studies?
> 1)simple dialup, routing (masquerade, ip forward), & simple firewall

The reason for the Debian list of packages is for this purpose. Also the iptables documentation has simple examples.

> [i have been working with redhat for about 3 months, and i was able to do
> this]
> 2)add dmz with mail and web server
>
> etc.
>
> best wishes,
>
> ron kaye

Hi All,

Somehow I have been volunteered to give a talk on iptables in May.  In
my spare time I have been writing a paper on it and the initial document
can be found at:
http://lrcressy.com/linux/iptables.pdf

Any comments, suggestions, and etc. would be appreciated.

Have a great day :-)

LeRoy

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <
FAX: 215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/