Chip Salzenberg on 6 Apr 2004 16:01:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Well, its official -- Sun is serious about being anti Linux and Open Source

According to Adam Turoff:
> IBM's my pick to buy Sun.

Well, it could happen, but the hardware lines would be almost entirely
redundant, wouldn't they?  That would be a genuine death.

> (Plus, there's the Java factor, but that's another story.)

Yow.  IBM has drunk the Open Source kool-aid.  If IBM buys Sun, then
Java becomes an IBM property ... something they've invested heavily in
and which they've already suggested to Sun would be best open sourced.

> But IA64 doesn't sound like the right fit.  PowerPC sounds much more
> reasonable.

Opteron wouldn't be a bad choice, and if anyone but Dell or IBM gets
Sun, that's what I'd bet on.  But if it's IBM ... PowerPC would be an
almost painless migration, software-wise.  It's even big-endian.

> IBM could keep some of the key values of Solaris/SPARC intact --
> like continuing to run binaries that were compiled ~20 years ago...

Huh?  You can't run SPARC binaries on PowerPCs....
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -               <chip@pobox.com>