John Ashmead on 8 Apr 2004 15:08:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] story of the 419 scammer/spammer being caught

After the relevant section in the Nigerian penal code. With possibly an echo of the San Fran '49's, a period reminiscent of the web bubble in some ways.

As someone pointed out last night, the basic scam goes back at least 200 years, when putative members of the Johnson family who had fled the revolution to Britain would write fellow Johnsons saying that for *almost* no money down, large shares of fortunes unavoidably left behind in the then-colonies could be retrieved and shared.