M.Simons on 26 Apr 2004 21:13:02 -0000

[PLUG] Wireless MAN/WAN PLAN!

There has been discussion on this list, as well as off this list, on irc,
etc. in regards to starting a wireless, (or more) metropolitan area
network.  Some members of Philly2600, as well as others are planning on
getting together Saturday May 1st at the Roosevelt Mall in NE Philadelphia
to have the first 'official' meeting regarding it.

They will be meeting at 6PM infront of the Strawbridges. (I am assuming
they mean at the mouth of the mall where all the chairs are.) They will
probably move from there shortly thereafter, so please arrive on
time/early.

Some of the people in PLUG who were previously discussing this created a
mailing list for said project.

P.L.A.N.  - Philadelphia Local Area Networking -- "connectivity by any
means neccessary".

I may or might not be at the meeting as I *might* be in baltimore for the
American Visionary Art Museum's Kinetic Sculpture Race
http://www.avam.org/

> In case anyone is interested, some philly2600 members and I are
> attempting to start a metro area network in Philadelphia, tentatively
> dubbed PhiFi.  We will be having our first meeting Saturday May 1st to
> try and determine exactly what the project goals will be and how to
> accomplish them.  I think it may (at least I want it to, I haven't
> gotten any objection yet) turn into something like Seattle Wireless's
> effort, a network independent of the internet, connected to the internet
> at a few points.
>
> The meeting will be at 6pm in front (well we will meet there, i am sure
> we will move to somewhere else) of strawbridges by the Roosevelt mall.
> If anyone wants to car pool, chris and I will be going down, I have
> space for two more.  Send out an email if you are interested.  We are
> looking for anyone and everyone to attend, the more ideas we have the
> better, and the more volunteers the better, it looks like it will be an
> involved project.  Just because we are country bumpkins and can't really
> host a node doesn't mean we can't get involved!

Bah, humbug! Anybody can host a node... eventually we can find people to
make hops reasonable.. I know a number of people out in the boonies who
are interested.

You might also want to check out my page on toasternets, nexus, etc. it's
http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/toasternet/

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Need Stuff? Got Stuff?: Please Take Materials Exchange: www.pleasetake.org