Kevin Brosius on 29 Apr 2004 22:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hi

Sean wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 11:34:30AM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > by mail.netisland.net with SMTP; 29 Apr 2004 14:13:16 -0000
> >
> > I've never seen mail from 'icenetworld.com' that I would consider valid
> > from gr. Or maybe he's got a new domain. A quick lookup on it ought to
> > tell you though.
>
> note that just as From: headers can be forged, so can Recieved: headers,
> and even so can the information put in the Recieved: header by your own
> mail server. if you trust the line itself (if it were put in by your
> mail server), than you can with some certainty trust the ip address
> in question, but the hostname in HELO could be anything. anything past
> the first Recieved: that you don't administer could be forged.

Um... Well, maybe my comments were to subtle.  We know that
mail.netisland.net is our mail list server, right?  I kind of assumed
others would pick that up, but my point was just that.  The ip in that
line is the IP that attached to _our_ listserv.  I trust that as the
sending machine.

I didn't realize that the 'icenetworld.com' was provided by the sender.
Is that the case?

nslookup 203.195.203.130
Non-authoritative answer:
130.203.195.203.in-addr.arpa    name = 203-195-203-130.now-india.net.in.

Yup, fake.  Well, now I learned something. :)

--
Kevin