Tom Diehl on 27 May 2004 13:46:02 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Upgrade Linux within Linux environment

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Sijian Zhou wrote:

> I have a simple question but could not find answer by
> googling:
>
> I am running RedHat 7.3 on my laptop for quite while.
> I want to upgrade to Fedora Core 2, So
> I downloaded FC2-i386-disc1,2,3,4.iso on my harddisk.
>
> I don't like make 4 CDs and maybe another floppy just
> this laptop upgrading.
>
> Can someone write an instruction how to start
> installer under Linux?

1. mount iso 1 on the loopback. (mount -o loop path_to_iso_1 mount_point)

2. cd to the images/pxe directory on that iso.

3. In there is a initrd and vmlinuz. Copy these to somewhere your
boot loader can find them ( /boot/grub/pxeboot ).

4. If using grub add an entry to the grub.conf that points to this
initrd and kernel. Assuming the kernel are in /boot/grub/pxeboot, something
like the following will work:

title RHEL 3 install
    root (hd3,0)
    kernel /grub/pxeboot/vmlinuz
    initrd /grub/pxeboot/initrd.img

If you want to kickstart from the machine you can do something like this:
title RHEL 3 install ks
    root (hd3,0)
    kernel /grub/pxeboot/vmlinuz ks=path_to_your_ks.cfg ksdevice=link ramdisk=32768
    initrd /grub/pxeboot/initrd.img

I have done this many times with both FC1 and RHEL. I have not tried FC2 yet but I
cannot see any reason why it should not work.

HTH,

Tom