Paul L. Snyder on 1 Jun 2004 13:30:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Improper shutdown

Quoting Matthew Ozor <mtozor@yahoo.com>:

> I have a problem with Mandrake 10.0, I shut the system
> down without sending a "shoutdown -h now". Used the
> reset button on my machine. Now I can't log into the
> Xserver and it boots me to the terminal. Durning the
> first boot after I did the reset I think I got a
> warning about there beign no space in my ??/tmp folder
> or something.

This is probably the key.

> Does anyone have any Ideas about what I
> need to do.

If you can log onto the the system, run a df -h, and
see if all your partitions have space available.  If
any of them are full or close to full (particularly
/tmp), delete as much garbage as you can and reboot.

If you have no space left in your /tmp directory, your
startup scripts don't have any space to scribble notes
to themselves, which can manifest in partial startup
such as you are experiencing.

If it won't let you log on at all, boot using a
rescue cd and perform the above procedure.  You
can boot from your Mandrake install CD in rescue mode
(don't actually reinstall anything!), and switch over
to a different virtual terminal once it's started up.
You may need to mount your partitions by hand.
Knoppix is convenient for this sort of thing, if you
have a copy.

(http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html)

> On top of that I get to work this morning and see that
> I forgot to update my dyndsn.org so I can't even fix
> it now. Does anyone know of a script that i can run
> with cron to keep me updated?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ddclient/

HTH,
pls