Art Alexion on 24 Jun 2004 01:09:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl send mail

Rebecca Ore wrote:

On Wednesday, June 23, 2004, at 12:57 PM, Stephen Gran wrote:

You need to use the same username/password pair that you use for
fetchmail, presumably, and what you want to find out is the name of the
outgoing mail server.  I assume this is something like mail.verizon.net
or smtp.verizon.net, as that's a fairly standard set up.  Both exim3 and
exim4 support client side smtp auth.

It's outgoing.verizon.net. I was using sendmail and had the authentication set up for that (and still have my sendmail how-to from the sendmail maintainer). Verizon does auth in plain text (I'm now using Mac OS 10.2.8 Mail program which has a hand-off routine built in).

You want to a line for sending username and password -- and you may need to have Cyrus SASL enabled (had postfix running earlier with the help of person knowledgeable about postfix.

There is also a small mail hand-off program (smtpp or something like that) which will do the same thing.

I'm confused as to why this has to be so complicated -- and consequently problem plagued. I was always under the impression that a local MTA, like sendmail or postfix (or exim) was an *alternative* to using your ISP's SMTP server. I have never tried to use both concurrently. My sendmail configuration knows nothing about the ISP's SMTP server, and I bypass sendmail when I use the server (which is my default setup). Why bother with a local MTA if you are using the ISP's server for outgoing mail?

--

art Alexion