Paul on 7 Jul 2004 14:58:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cd burning on a samba burner

Art Alexion wrote:

Paul wrote:

Art Alexion wrote:

Is there a way to get any Linux CD burning software to recognize and use a CD writer that is actually attached to a windows PC on a samba network?

I don't think that's possible in any case. Reading is one thing...

Reading, I have been able to accomplish [as with reading and writing to a zip drive]...

Yeah, Zips drivers and hard drives are not a problem over a network. A CD burner is more like using an image scanner over a network.

James Kelly wrote:

I am sure it is possible, but afaik conventional wisdom says network
burns are just asking for trouble.

So far no problem writing data that resides on a Linux ext3 volume to a burner on a win32 machine over samba/Ethernet using the win32 software. Just wanted to try the Linux software out before getting a burner for the Linux machine.

I've burned CDs over a 10Mbit network in an office without a problem. However, running a remote CD burner with local software, I'd like to see that.

Maybe you could use Cygwin or Knoppix to run Linux on the machine with the CD burner in it. http://cygwin.com/ http://www.knoppix.org/