George Theall on 31 Jul 2004 02:05:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BIND zone oddity causing SendMail 451 Name server timeout errors?

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 08:19:43PM -0400, kaze wrote:

> Noticed today that the higher MX priority host, one of the ISP's
> boxes, was not there anymore

What higher priority MX host? The zone files you posted earlier had only
one MX record for hostedexample.com, and that was the same as for
example.com - 10.1.1.53.

Also, when you say "higher priority", do you mean a higher or lower
preference number? The one with a lower preference number would be tried
first.

> - very remotely wondering if this would cause
> timeouts or weirdness for the sending MTA on doing DNS lookups.

The error message you quoted involved a name server timeout, so I
don't think this is the problem. It's hard to say, though, without
specifics.

> Still don't understand why there is at least one company (gtcr.com) who
> can't send, or gets hours long delays sending to hostedexample.com - while
> no domains have trouble sending to example.com.

Ok, possibly silly question...  does gtcr.com have trouble sending to
example.com?

Also, what sort of activity do your named logs show from gtcr.com?

George
--
theall@tifaware.com