George Theall on 31 Jul 2004 13:42:03 -0000

Re: FW: [PLUG] BIND zone oddity causing SendMail 451 Name server timeout errors?

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 01:40:41AM -0400, kaze wrote:

> Actually not sure where / what I'm looking for.

Ideally you're looking for queries from gtcr.com's nameservers.  From
the snippet you posted, it's not clear you're logging queries at all.
You might want to look at your nameserver's manual to figure out how
that's done; using Bind 9, it'll be something like:

  logging {
    category "queries" { "default_syslog"; };
  };

> No hosts are set to use these DNS servers,

I'm not talking about how you've configured your nameserver but rather
who other nameservers think handles DNS for that domain.  Do a whois
lookup on the domain to find out.  If that's not you, organizations that
aren't explicitly configured to look to you for info about
hostedexample.com won't.

Why don't you post real details so we can noodle around and get a better
understanding of the setup?

> So if gtcr.com's MTA is using it's ISP's DNS servers which are in turn
> recursively(?) querying my DNS then I wouldn't necessarily see gtcr.com,
> right?

True. Does gtcr.com operate its own nameserver(s)? If not, you need to
figure out what it does use and look for that in your logs.

> Is there a different log file to look at?

Depends on how your nameserver's configured.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com