eric@lucii.org on 2 Aug 2004 11:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Pasting log and configuration files verbatim (was: what's this?)

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:17:43PM -0400, kaze wrote:
> --> Not to single you out, but generally speaking it would be very much
> --> appreciate when pasting log and configuration file snippets if they
> --> were pasted verbatim.  In this particular case, half of the data you
> --> munged -- your IP address -- is easily obtainable simply by looking
> --> at the Received: lines of your post:
> -->
> --> 	Received: from lucii.dnsalias.org ([68.34.167.232])
> --> 		  by comcast.net (sccrmhc13) with SMTP
> -->
> --> -mct
>
> Agreed, it is annoying to troubleshoot with munged data. The reason I did/am
> on the "BIND zone oddity causing SendMail 451 Name server timeout errors?"
> thread is that Googling on the (pre-munged) domain name in the future would
> get hits from the PLUG archive and I thought better safe than sorry insofar
> as IANAL stuff. Basically it was a call I made to protect myself and my
> client, and I think I munged okay. For my own home stuff, for example, I've
> just posted it verbatim.
>
> - Zake

Well, I've heard it both ways.  Used to be one would be chided for posting
(not necessarliy on this list) specific IP or MAC information.  Even so, your
point about the IP in the email header is taken.  In addition, a "black hat"
could certainly determine the MAC address (if it was needed for some unknown
purpose) given that they had the IP.   Sorry if it confused the issue.
Just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me :-D

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth